Friday, October 2, 2009

The Best Peanut Butter Cookies—Ever



Cookie Friday again. Today I made my husband’s all-time fav, PB cookies. Don't worry, these cookies aren't like the typical hard, greasy ones you find at school bake sales. The original recipe comes from an old back issue of Cook’s Illustrated, but you can also find it in The America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook.

I like to make a few tweaks to the cookies to suit my family’s tastes. I toss out the iconic fork print on the top in favor of adding chunky chocolate chips to the batter. You can’t beat peanut butter and chocolate. So if you’re looking for a cookie packed with peanuts, chocolate and some whole wheat for at least a little bit of a health boost, ready the glass of milk!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour (I use half King Arthur White Whole Wheat, half all-purpose)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
16 tablespoons butter, softened (margarine is fine)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup crunch peanut butter (creamy works too)
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 large eggs
1 cup salted peanuts, ground fine (I use a food processor)
Chocolate chips or chunks

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. This is the one cookie recipe I’ve found that doesn’t need time for the dough to sit in the fridge to create a softer, firmer cookie. It doesn’t improve the texture of the dough to bake these cookies right after mixing. Beat the butter and the sugars together in a large bowl. Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.

Add the peanut butter to the sugared butter and mix until creamy. Mix in the vanilla and the eggs (the recipe calls for you to mix in the eggs one at a time, but I haven’t noticed any difference if you just toss them in all at once). With the mixer on low speed add the dry ingredients in slowly. Mix just until incorporated. Add the ground peanuts. Toss in chocolate chips; as always, my preference is Ghirardelli. Bake the cookies on lightly greased or parchment-lined cookie sheets for 10 to 12 minutes or until just golden brown.

A note on peanut butter: According to the Test Kitchen tasters, Skippy Peanut Butter was a standout. Around our house we go for the store brand for a couple reasons: first, it doesn’t cost as much and second, I find that it’s less sweet than the name brands. I don’t like overly sweet desserts, especially with these cookies where the star really is the peanutty flavor.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds good. Especially the Ghirardelli chocolate. I wish I could get that Down Under. It has been years since I've had any.

    Oddly, Kiwis rarely do peanut butter/chocolate combination baked goods or sweets. Seems weird to me to ignore such a glorious taste duo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a special place in my heart for peanut butter cookies, my all-time favorite comfort food as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, pb chocolate chip cookies are sooo good. And these look like a particularly tasty version. Perfect, since October is National Cookie Month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look yummy, especially with the chocolate chip addition. And I like the fact that there's healthy whole wheat flour, too. I'll bet your house was smelling mighty good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you added chocolate! Trader Joe's Natural Peanut Butter is less sweet, but I don't know if it would work in a cookie. Might be worth trying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie--I didn't know October was national cookie month--not that I need much incentive to make cookies!

    And yes, Sheryl my house does smell good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love peanut butter cookies but my kids don't. I'm intrigued to try this recipe and maybe my husband and I can eat them all. Thanks for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look fabulous! Will make them as soon as my kitchen remodel is finished and I have an oven again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look fabulous! Will make them as soon as my kitchen remodel is finished and I have an oven again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to try these! The whole family is big on pb and choc together. I love Cook's magazine.

    ReplyDelete